Restaurant owners need to carry several kinds of insurance to protect their business. Exactly how much and what kinds may vary from business to business, depends on the scale and scope of their operation. A small family owned and operated bagel shop would require different types of coverage than a chain of bars & grills. Here are the different kinds of insurance you’ll need to discuss with your agent:

  • General Liability: This covers any of those circumstances that a customer may want to sue you. General liability is for situations when a customer slips and falls or gets ill from eating your food.
  • Property Insurance: This type of insurance obviously covers the property itself and is a must for those who own the restaurant as well as the land. You’ll be covered in case of vandalism or damages, but it may not cover natural disasters like floods (flood insurance is usually purchased separately).
  • Worker’s Compensation: If you’ve hired any employees to help you run your restaurant, you must have this. Let’s say one of your cooks burns himself on the grill, Worker’s Compensation will pay for his medical expenses. Employees used to sue their employers to pay their hospital bills and many walked away with way more than needed for their expenses. Not having this coverage can easily put a restaurant out of business.
  • Liquor Liability: This type of liability is only for business with a liquor license. This covers you in case a customer gets tipsy/drunk then hurts himself or someone else.
  • Food Contamination Insurance: This covers you if food spoils due to a power outage. My husband has dealt with this several times at his cafe.
  • Loss of Business Insurance: This insurance can be expensive, but may help you break even should you have to shut down. That’s a very real possibility in this kind of business. Restaurants are especially hard to keep afloat.

If you’d like to discuss all of these options and more, please call Patrons Insurance Agency at 1-888-721-1949 or stop by at anytime 11322 Seminole Blvd. Largo, FL 33778. Agents Skip and Tim would be happy to help you.